I feel incredibly fortunate to have had my blog mentioned on the internet king of all miscellanea, BoingBoing, last week when they published an email I wrote to one of the co-founders. That single mention has brought more readers on the blog, which is always a good thing in my book.
If you’re new or just finding this for the first time, here’s a greatest hits list of some of the most popular posts and among the posts that I am most proud of:
- The Value of Topic Sentences
- Against Cynicism in Education
- What Mario knows that you don’t: Video games and assignment design
- Games in the writing classroom: designing and teaching an RPG creative writing class
- Deliberate practice, motivation, and “The Dan Plan”
- The Hidden Value of Writing Everyday
- Staying focused on writing: The High Score Method
- Motivating Students: When “giving a sh**” meets the “oh sh**!” moment
Since one of my jobs is helping students transition from the widely taught five-paragraph essay into a more fluid format, I also constructed a series of posts called “The Five-paragraph Fix.” Here are some of the better posts in that series:
I should also take this time to mention that I’m eager to talk to readers and to develop a community here where others have a voice. If you have specific topics you’d like to seen written about or you have topics that you want to write about, please comment or drop me a line.